- IRL: Bearing failure on a train at Connolly Station
- On 18 October 2011, a train passed a Hot Axlebox Detector triggering an alarm in the Centralised Traffic Control. The train driver was requested that the train be stopped and inspected. One of the axleboxes on the locomotive was found to be red hot and smoking. An axle journal bearing on the locomotive, which was positioned at the rear of the train, had failed.
- QLD: Child passenger falls from train service
- On 21 December 2011, a female passenger notified staff that she was unable to locate her five year old son on the train. The child was located on the Bruce Highway adjacent to the rail corridor. Investigations revealed that the child had fallen from an open carriage door while the train was in motion.
- AUS: ATSB Safety Watch
- The ATSB Safety Watch highlights the broad safety concerns that come out of our investigation findings and from the occurrence data reported to us by industry.
- NSW: Collision between a coal train and an excavator near Maitland
- On 20 December 2011, an empty coal train collided with an excavator that was being used for scheduled maintenance of rail lines near the High Street Station at Maitland. The excavator suffered extensive damage while the lead locomotive suffered minor damage and was able to continue on its journey after a crew change. Neither the train drivers nor the track workers were injured in the collision.
- UK: Accidents due to landslides
- The RAIB is carrying out a preliminary examination of four train accidents caused by landslide which followed periods of heavy rain during the summer of 2012.
- UK: Collapse of the overhead line, Midland Metro
- On 20 April 2011, a tram struck an item of overhead line equipment (OLE), which had previously become partially detached from its supporting pole. This damaged the tram and led to a progressive collapse of the OLE for about 200 metres, which resulted in further damage to the tram. Three adult and three child passengers suffered injuries which required hospital treatment as a result of the accident.
- USA: Recommendations to FRA on improper use of jumper wires
- Recommendations to the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) derived from NTSB preliminary investigations of a collision between an Amtrak train and automobile in Madison, Illinois on 28 February 2012 and derailment of amtrak train in Niles, Michigan on 21 October 2012.
- UK: Near miss at Four Lane Ends level crossing, near Burscough Bridge, Lancashire
- On 28 September 2012, a passenger service from Manchester Airport to Southport, narrowly avoided a collision with a car that was crossing the railway at Four Lane Ends public level crossing, near Burscough Bridge.